Blog / Travel
Escape the price tag. 5 places to honeymoon on a budget.
Remember that super catchy pop song that tells you to forget about the price tag? All very well on the dance floor, after all you can dance for free.
Price tags come into their own when you start booking flights, hotel rooms and candle lit dinners for two. In other words, your honeymoon. You may be able to dance for free, but you can’t very well leave Singapore on the wings of love can you?
If you are looking to honeymoon on a budget, the travel team recommends five beautiful places for you. Now to choose your perfect getaway…
Top 5 budget honeymoon places to get you in the mood
1. Sand, sea and culture: Hoi An, Vietnam
Hoi An is a beautiful ancient city on Vietnam’s central coast. It was a busy port in the 15th-19th century before the harbour silted up and the traders departed leaving their stunning architecture, Buddhist shrines, French-colonial houses, art galleries and old canals. In other words, honeymoon perfect!
It also has a certain je ne sais quoi. Vietnam used to be a French colony and you can still see locals cycling home with their French baguettes balancing in their baskets. The town has a romantic French twist, just the ticket for your romantic getaway! It also won’t break the bank.
- Accommodation – The Lotus Hoi An Boutique Hotel and Spa is rated 4.5 out of 5 on Expedia.com.sg and averages out at around S$100 per night for a double room.
- Getting there – Da Nang is the nearest airport, with flights on Scoot and VietJet Air.com from under S$200 per person return. Watch out for hidden extras on budget flights. Taxis take around an hour from the airport to Hoi An and are cheap.
2. At one with nature: Malaysian jungle
Think camping and bugs, bivvy bags and budget bathrooms may come to mind. But we are talking glamping here or glamorous camping!
Imagine rocking up at a glampsite - with all the hard work done and a comfortable big bed awaiting you. With just the stars and the sounds of the jungle to keep you company!
Check out this retreat at Sekeping Serendah in Malaysia. It’s around an hour’s drive from Kuala Lumpur. Accommodation is an open wooden hut, or glorified tent as the website describes it, but it oozes modern minimalism with a big double bed and crisp white sheets as a centre piece. Prices for a double start at 300 Ringgit a night (around S$100).
- Getting there – It’s 400km from Singapore, so driving is a cheap option. If you want to fly, then expect to pay around S$100 per person return with Scoot and Airasia. A taxi service organised by the accommodation from KL and back costs around RM80 per car (S$25)
3. Under (gorgeous) canvas: safari-style Bintan
Rated 4 out of 5 stars on Tripadvisor The Canopi is a beautiful resort, and a short hop away on the Indonesian island of Bintan. The safari-style tents have romantic four poster beds facing a massive man-made lagoon with sparkling crystal clear water. It’s filtered sea water so no need to worry about pollution either! Chill out on the beach beds, or if action is more your thing there are plenty of watersports on the lagoon.
The cheapest room starts at around S$140 a night, with a Glamping Deluxe Tent at S$240 per night. From Singapore take the 60-minute ferry ride from Tanah Merah ferry terminal to Bintan, around S$45 return, the ride to the resort is free!
4. City lights: sunset in Taipei
If you fancy a cool city with its own distinct vibe then head for Taipei. Transport is cheap with an MRT system like Singapore’s. You won’t be short of things to do in Taipei and hotels prices are very competitive – watch the hotel price comparison sites over a few weeks to get the best deal. The winter months are the cheapest for hotels, but also the coldest. All the better for a cosy night in.
Stroll over the famous Lover’s Bridge at Tamshui’s Fisherman’s Wharf at night and watch the stunning sunset. Jetstar and Scoot both fly to Taipei and flights are relatively cheap from around S$220 per person return.
5. Best of both worlds: Hong Kong and Lantau
Hong Kong is a favourite with Singaporeans and an exciting place to take a honeymoon. It doesn’t always have to be costly either.
With so many hotels to chose from, there are many good bargains to be had, especially if you stay out of the main tourist areas. After a few days in the city, head for somewhere more tranquil and cheap, like Lantau island in the New Territories.
- Accommodation – claiming to be the first B&B on Lantau, Espace Elastique, will set you back around S$100 per night for a double. Hike, mountain bike or just chill.
- Getting there – flight time to Hong Kong is around 4 hours and costs around S$350-400 per person return on Jetstar and Scoot. Like Singapore, local transport is cheap and you can choose from a wide variety of good, local food.
And finally, things don’t always go to plan…In December 2010 Swedish couple Stefan and Erika Svanstrom had the honeymoon from hell. They survived several natural disasters – a snowstorm in Munich, Germany, a monsoon in Bali, bush fires in Perth, floods in Brisbane and a category 5 cyclone in Cairns. Just when they thought it couldn’t get worse, in Christchurch, New Zealand, they experienced an earthquake and then landed in Tokyo where another earthquake, followed by a tsunami, struck. Despite the odds, Mr Svanstrom says they made it back to Sweden in love!
"We've certainly experienced more than our fair share of catastrophes, but the most important thing is that we're together and happy.” Happy honeymoon, and don’t forget your Travel cover from Budget Direct Insurance, as anything can happen!
Wherever you go, whatever you do, remember it’s vital to have good travel cover.
Check out Budget Direct Insurance for your best deal