Blog / Travel
St Patrick’s Day Irish street festival in Singapore!
You don’t have to leave Singapore to soak up a bit of the Emerald Isle. You can get a flavor of all things Irish right here in Singapore, without the hassle of a 14-hour flight to Belfast or Dublin.
Here are two must-see Irish festivals for your diary.
St Patrick’s Day Street Festival.
What is it?
It’s a massive street festival along the Singapore River.
Held every year, it’s part of a global celebration of Irish culture, in remembrance of St Patrick, one of Ireland’s patron saints.
- Where: Circular Road area between North Canal Road and Lorong Telok.
- When: Friday March 17 from 6pm til late. Saturday 18 and Sunday 19 from 2pm til 10pm.
- FREE entry.
What can we look forward too?
Irish dance performances, Guinness-infused Irish fare (go easy!), folk-rock and Celtic music from Irish and Singaporean bands such as Babushka and Gan Ainm. The kids will lap up the face painting, balloon sculpting and big bouncy castle but just watch out for those pesky leprechauns!
More info here
2. Red Dot Green Dot
Celebrate the best of both Irish and Singaporean culture. Head down to LaSalle College for some camaraderie, craic, live music and readings of great works by Irish and Singaporean authors.
It’s organized by the Ireland Funds mission. This is a global philanthropic network of friends of Ireland aimed at promoting peace, culture, education, and community development in Irish communities around the world.
- When: Saturday, March 11 from 7.30pm-10.30pm.
- Where: LASALLE College of Arts, Flexible Performance Space, Block F Level 1 #F102, 1 McNally Street.
- Tickets are FREE.
Ireland in five fast facts
1. St Patrick’s Day is an official holiday in Newfoundland and Labrador in Canada. And Monserrat in the Caribbean. Place with many Irish settlers then…
2. The Irish are the world’s biggest tea drinkers. Consuming an average of 1,184 cups per person per year
3. Dublin has one pub for every 100 people
4. There are more Irish people living OUTside of Ireland than in
5. Irish celebrities in Hollywood include Michael Fasbender, Pierce Brosnan, Cillian Murphy, Colin Farrell and Jamie Dornan.
Budget Direct Insurance wishes our Irish community in Singapore a happy St Patrick’s Day!
Wherever you go, whatever you do, remember it’s vital to have good Travel and Car cover.
Check out Budget Direct Insurance for your best deal