Blog / Car
Off-peak car. When is an OPC the smart option?
Having an Off Peak Car (OPC) is one way to slash the cost of motoring in Singapore. Pay less on your road tax, less on your car insurance and get a host of cash rebates. The catch is that you’re restricted to the times you’re allowed on the roads.
It is worth considering if..
- You don’t clock up too many miles.
- You don’t drive too and from work during office hours.
- You drive mainly at the weekends and in the evenings.
- You have a second car that you use only occasionally.
Overall, the OPC scheme is a smart, cost-cutting option that helps bring motoring expenses right down. Not surprising that in 2016 nearly 2,000 motorists signed up for the scheme. More than double the amount of drivers that signed up in previous years.
OPCs come with a mine of abbreviations so hold on whilst we explain…
- Revised Off-Peak Cars (ROPC) allow you to drive your car any time, except weekdays between 7am and 7pm. You’re okay to drive on public holidays too.
- The ROPC is the new updated version of the old Off-Peak Car scheme (OPC) and Weekend-Car scheme (WEC) that are slowly being phased out and are no longer available for motorists to register.
- Restricted driving has its perks. There are many rebates and discounts depending on your circumstances. Check them out here.
We do the money-saving math
- If you already have a car and you register it under the ROPC scheme then you could be entitled to a discount of up to $500 on your annual road tax.
- You could also get a cash rebate of up to $1,100 for every six months the car remains under the scheme until the car is 10 years old.
- The savings you make on your car insurance are nothing to be sniffed at either. For instance, with Budget Direct Insurance Singapore drivers of all OPCs pay less. OPCs, ROPCs and WECs get a 15 percent discount on their car insurance.
What if you want to drive your car OUTSIDE of the restricted hours?
That’s easy. Go online and get yourself an e-Day licence costing $20 per day. Even better, if you’re in a hurry, you can always buy the licence after your journey. Within 23 hours and 59 minutes to be exact!
For more information on OPCs go to lta.gov.sg
Wherever you go, whatever you do, it's vital to have a good car, motorcycle and travel insurance.
Check out Budget Direct Insurance for your best deal