Blog / Travel
Planning a honeymoon? Tips and travel advice to keep costs down.
Love is more important than money, but have you ever tried paying your bills with a hug? Planning a honeymoon should be fun, and leave you excited at the prospect, rather than dreading the arrival of your bank statement.
From Singapore, we have access to amazing honeymoon destinations, and you don’t even have to venture abroad to have a fabulous trip together! Many couples are finding ways to stay closer to home.
Whether you want to save money, can’t take time off work, or just want a simple getaway, here are our tips for planning a honeymoon that suits you and your bank balance.
Seen as the “and relax” part of the marriage ceremony, a honeymoon is the time when the bride and groom spend time bonding their relationship and starting married life together.
Just like weddings, honeymoons can be expensive. Before you commit to anything, agree how much money and time you want to spend, plus what you want out of the experience. That way you can relax more, and won’t be tempted or persuaded by hotels, wedding planners and travel agents who may see dollar signs looming!
6 ways to save on honeymoon planning
- You don’t have to go overseas – a short staycation or mini-moon maybe the answer.
- Drive! The airfare is a big part of the trip, so think about driving off into the night with your loved one (romantic as well as avoiding the peak times at Woodlands and Tuas!)
- If you do fly, start scanning all the flight and hotel deals well in advance of the wedding, and book several weeks ahead. Sign up on websites for special offers and discounts at hotels you like the look of
- If you get an all inclusive deal, make sure you know what’s included and what’s not - and if the deal is going to be practical for you.
- Think about when you want to get married and go on honeymoon, some times of the year are more expensive than others.
- You don’t have to feel pressure to have a honeymoon at all. If lots of friends and family have flown in for the wedding, you may want to spend time hanging out with them and take a trip later in the year.
When are the cheapest times to travel?
After number crunching three years of data, Skyscanner has revealed the cheapest time of the year to fly to your favourite places, and when to book ahead for the best deals.
For Singapore travellers, on average the best time to book is between 21 - 25 weeks in advance, garnering average savings of 21 - 22%.
So when are airfares lowest? As a general guide these are the cheapest times to get flights to the following destinations:
Remember airfares are cheaper for a reason, so make sure you do your homework on your chosen destination before you book. See the Skyscanner Guide for more booking advice.
Want more good reads? You'll love these too:
Savvy Singaporeans bag luxury holiday on a budget. Here’s how.
Escape the price tag. 5 places to honeymoon on a budget.
Why are more Singaporeans taking cruise holidays? Find out.
International Proposal Day Worst proposals ever and how to get it right
March 20th is International Proposal Day
Wherever you go, whatever you do, remember it’s vital to have good travel cover.
Check out Budget Direct Insurance for your best deal