Car Accidents FAQs
- Types of Car Insurance & Covers
- What types of cover can I choose from?
- Can anyone drive my car?
- How much do you insure my car for?
- Do I have to tell you if I drive to work in my car?
- Who would Budget Direct Insurance not insure?
- Do you cover modified cars?
- Are there any professions, trades or services you don't cover?
- Does your car insurance cover private hire vehicles or if I use my car for Grab, Go-Jek, Ryde or TADA?
- Do I really have to take up your Any Workshop option if my car is still under warranty?
- Are there any cars that Budget Direct Insurance does NOT insure?
- What is car insurance?
- What is customised car insurance?
- Who has the cheapest^ car insurance in Singapore in 2021?
- Insuring your Car
- Can I buy car insurance with Budget Direct Insurance?
- I need to extend my current car insurance with you for a couple of months because the shipment on my new car is delayed. Is extending my insurance with you possible?
- What is an Off Peak Car?
- I bought my insurance from you but was involved in an accident before the policy start date. Why was I informed that my premium with you will increase?
- What documents will I receive when I buy my policy?
- Paying for Car Insurance
- Do I have to pay my car insurance premiums in one lump sum or can I pay in instalments?
- I am paying my car insurance policy premium by monthly instalment under an Instalment Payment Plan (IPP). What happens if I cancel the policy before the end of the policy term?
- Can I make an early redemption of the IPP by settling the balance total outstanding amount owing in one lump sum?
- Can I cancel the credit card which is used for the monthly payment under the IPP?
- I am paying my car insurance policy premium by monthly instalment under an IPP. What happens if there is a partial refund of premium payable to me before the end of the policy period (for example, due to change in my NCD entitlement from 20% to 50%)?
- If I choose to pay my insurance via monthly instalments then what method of payment can I use?
- Car Accidents
- What should I do if I have an accident?
- Do I need to report an accident to the police?
- What should I do if I am involved in an accident outside Singapore?
- What is the time frame for me to report an accident and what documents are required for accident reporting?
- Where can I report an accident involving my car?
- Do I need to inform Budget Direct Insurance if I privately settle the accident with the other party?
- What is the timeframe for me to submit my third-party claim against the other party’s insurer if I am not at fault for the accident?
- If someone knocked into me or my car and does not have any valid car insurance policy, what should I do?
- Do I need to lodge an accident report if I am not at fault for the accident and I am not claiming against my own car insurance policy?
- My car broke down. Can I claim against my own car insurance policy?
- What should I do in the event of "Park and Found" or "Hit and Run"?
- Car Theft and Repairs
- What should I do in the event my windscreen is damaged?
- What should I do if my car is stolen?
- Should I accept any assistance from unknown roadside towing services or workshops?
- Can I request for breakdown towing/assistance in the event my car breaks down?
- What should I do if I receive a Letter of Demand/ Writ of Summons?
- Are vehicle repairs at your workshops guaranteed?
- Where can I repair my car after an accident?
- Will there be a replacement car/ loss of use/ transport allowance when my car is undergoing repair?
- Will there be any charges if I repair/ replace my windscreen or window?
- Car Insurance Claims and Excesses
- If I have not purchased the “Any Workshop” optional cover and don’t intend to make an Own Damage claim, can I visit listed agent workshops for reporting?
- If there is damage to my car’s sun roof do I make a claim under my windscreen cover?
- How do I make a claim against the other party’s insurer?
- How do I make a claim against a foreign vehicle?
- How much will I be paid if my car is deemed as "Total Loss" in an accident or if my vehicle is stolen?
- Do I have to pay excess when I make a claim on my car insurance?
- No Claim Discount
- What is a No Claim Discount (NCD)?
- How does your NCD Protector work?
- I have 50% NCD from my current insurer, can it be transferred to the policy I'm about to get from you?
- I have been driving as a Named Driver on someone else’s policy can I get NCD?
- I have a vehicle registered under commercial use and I would like to change it to personal use. Can I transfer my NCD from my commercial vehicle to my private car?
- I am a foreigner living in Singapore and have a 50% NCD from overseas. Can it be transferred to the policy I'm about to get from you?
- What is a Certificate of Merit and how does this work with my NCD?
- Will my NCD be affected if I do not claim against my own car insurance policy and I have done a private settlement with the other party?
- Managing your Car Insurance
- How do I manage my policy?
- How do I renew my road tax?
- What if I need to change my details such as my address?
- Where do I find my car’s details?
- When is the best time to renew my car insurance?
- If I am on the automatic renewal arrangement what do I need to do to renew?
- I am on the automatic renewal arrangement with Budget Direct Insurance but I don’t want to renew what do I need to do?
- I notice that some information is missing in my renewal offer, what should I do about it?
- Can I cancel my policy after purchase?
What should I do if I have an accident?
A step-by-step guide on what you should do if you are involved in an accident:
- Remain calm and do not panic.
- Check if anyone is injured - if there is personal injury, call 995 for ambulance or 999 for police assistance.
- Do not move your vehicle unless necessary, especially if there are personal injuries involved.
- Take photographs of the accident scene and damaged vehicles/property.
Exchange the following information and particulars with the other parties involved (including witnesses):
- Vehicle Registration Number
- Contact Number
- Do not admit any liability, whether verbally or in a written form.
Should you require any towing services or assistance, please call our 24-hours Claims hotline at 6221 2199 if you are in Singapore or +65 6540 2199 if you are overseas. Wait for a tow truck assigned by Budget Direct Insurance to tow your car – you should not accept help from any other towing service providers. You should also report the accident at any of Budget Direct Insurance’s Authorised Workshops or Accident Reporting Centres within 24 hours of the accident or by the next working day.
Do I need to report an accident to the police?
You are only required to report the accident to the police if someone is injured in the accident or if it involves government/foreign vehicles, government property, cyclists or pedestrians.
What should I do if I am involved in an accident outside Singapore?
You are required to report the accident to the local police. If your car is damaged or no longer safe to be driven, we will assist to arrange towing services to bring your car back to Singapore. For further assistance, please call our 24-hour claims hotline at +65 6540 2199 and our representatives will advise you.
If your car is safe to be driven, you may report the accident to our Authorised Workshops upon your return. For more information, please visit our Authorised Workshops page.
What is the time frame for me to report an accident and what documents are required for accident reporting?
The driver involved in the accident must report personally within 24 hours or the next working day, with a copy of his/her driving licence and NRIC, to any Authorised Workshop or Accident Reporting Centre. The car must be present at the time of reporting.
Where can I report an accident involving my car?
Do I need to inform Budget Direct Insurance if I privately settle the accident with the other party?
Yes, you are required to file an accident report at our Authorised Workshop/ Accident Reporting Centre for each and every accident even if there is a private settlement with the other party. The purpose of informing us is to safeguard you from any claims that might arise from the accident and so that we can defend you against any legal proceedings. You still need to lodge an accident report for any accident you are involved in.
Please click here for a copy of Budget Direct Insurance Private Settlement Form.
What is the timeframe for me to submit my third-party claim against the other party’s insurer if I am not at fault for the accident?
If your car was damaged due to the accident, you have up to 6 years from the date of the accident to submit your Third Party Property Damage (“TPPD”) Claim against the other party (and his/her insurer). If you or your passenger suffered bodily injury as a result of the accident, you or your passenger have up to 3 years to submit your Third Party Bodily Injury (“TPBI”) Claim against the other party (and his/ her insurer).
However, the immediate steps that you should do after an accident (whether or not a TPPD and/or TPBI Claim is involved) are the following:
- you have to report the accident to us within 24 hours or the next working day.
- if you or your passenger had sustained bodily injury due to the accident, a Traffic Police report should be made within 24 hours or as soon as possible.
- If you intend to make a TPPD Claim against the other party, you should contact the other party’s insurer for them to conduct a pre-repair survey before you send your car for repair. Note: Our Authorised Workshops are able to assist with your TPPD Claim or you may proceed to any workshop of your choice to file your TPPD Claim.
If someone knocked into me or my car and does not have any valid car insurance policy, what should I do?
We recommend that you claim against your own car insurance policy (“Own Damage Claim”) first (if you had purchased our Comprehensive Car Insurance policy) and, after we have settled your losses which you have insured against in your policy, we will seek recovery against the other party on your behalf. If you are submitting an Own Damage Claim, you must submit such claim to us within 14 days from the date of the accident.
If you do not wish to submit an Own Damage Claim, you can also engage your own lawyer to submit your Third Party Claim directly against the third party driver.
Do I need to lodge an accident report if I am not at fault for the accident and I am not claiming against my own car insurance policy?
You will still need to lodge the accident report within 24 hours or the next working day to provide the accident details and to safeguard yourself as the other party might still submit a claim against you.
My car broke down. Can I claim against my own car insurance policy?
You will not be able to claim against your car insurance policy as your policy does not cover wear and tear from usage of your car. However, if you have the 24 Hours Roadside Assistance optional cover, you can call us to arrange towing your car to our Authorised Workshop or to your workshop for repairs.
What should I do in the event of "Park and Found" or "Hit and Run"?
In the event of "Park and Found" or "Hit and Run", you or your driver must lodge a police report before reporting the incident at our Authorised Workshop/Accident Reporting Centre. You may choose to claim under your own policy.