What should I do if I have an accident?

A step-by-step guide on what you should do if you are involved in an accident:

  1. Remain calm and do not panic.
  2. Check if anyone is injured - if there is personal injury, call 995 for ambulance or 999 for police assistance.
  3. Do not move your vehicle unless necessary, especially if there are personal injuries involved.
  4. Take photographs of the accident scene and damaged vehicles/property.
  5. Exchange the following information and particulars with the other parties involved (including witnesses):

    - Vehicle Registration Number
    - Name/Address/NRIC
    - Contact Number
    - Insurer
  6. Do not admit any liability, whether verbally or in a written form.

Should you require any towing services or assistance, please call our 24-hours Claims hotline at 6221 2199 if you are in Singapore or +65 6540 2199 if you are overseas. Wait for a tow truck assigned by Budget Direct Insurance to tow your car – you should not accept help from any other towing service providers. You should also report the accident at any of Budget Direct Insurance’s Authorised Workshops or Accident Reporting Centres within 24 hours of the accident or by the next working day.

Do I need to report an accident to the police?

You are only required to report the accident to the police if someone is injured in the accident or if it involves government/foreign vehicles, government property, cyclists or pedestrians.

Should you require further assistance, please call our 24-hour claims hotline at 6221 2199 or +65 6540 2199 if you're overseas.

What should I do if I am involved in an accident outside Singapore?

You are required to report the accident to the local police. If your car is damaged or no longer safe to be driven, we will assist to arrange towing services to bring your car back to Singapore. For further assistance, please call our 24-hour claims hotline at +65 6540 2199 and our representatives will advise you.

If your car is safe to be driven, you may report the accident to our Authorised Workshops upon your return. For more information, please visit our Authorised Workshops page.

What is the time frame for me to report an accident and what documents are required for accident reporting?

The driver involved in the accident must report personally within 24 hours or the next working day, with a copy of his/her driving licence and NRIC, to any Authorised Workshop or Accident Reporting Centre. The car must be present at the time of reporting.

Where can I report an accident involving my car?

You can report the car accident at any of our Authorised Workshops located island-wide.
If you have purchased the “Any Workshop” optional cover, you can proceed to our Accident Reporting Centres to report your accident.

Do I need to inform Budget Direct Insurance if I privately settle the accident with the other party?

Yes, you are required to file an accident report at our Authorised Workshop/ Accident Reporting Centre for each and every accident even if there is a private settlement with the other party. The purpose of informing us is to safeguard you from any claims that might arise from the accident and so that we can defend you against any legal proceedings. You still need to lodge an accident report for any accident you are involved in.

Please click here for a copy of Budget Direct Insurance Private Settlement Form.

What is the timeframe for me to submit my third-party claim against the other party’s insurer if I am not at fault for the accident?

If your car was damaged due to the accident, you have up to 6 years from the date of the accident to submit your Third Party Property Damage (“TPPD”) Claim against the other party (and his/her insurer). If you or your passenger suffered bodily injury as a result of the accident, you or your passenger have up to 3 years to submit your Third Party Bodily Injury (“TPBI”) Claim against the other party (and his/ her insurer).

However, the immediate steps that you should do after an accident (whether or not a TPPD and/or TPBI Claim is involved) are the following:

  • you have to report the accident to us within 24 hours or the next working day.
  • if you or your passenger had sustained bodily injury due to the accident, a Traffic Police report should be made within 24 hours or as soon as possible.
  • If you intend to make a TPPD Claim against the other party, you should contact the other party’s insurer for them to conduct a pre-repair survey before you send your car for repair. Note: Our Authorised Workshops are able to assist with your TPPD Claim or you may proceed to any workshop of your choice to file your TPPD Claim.

If someone knocked into me or my car and does not have any valid car insurance policy, what should I do?

We recommend that you claim against your own car insurance policy (“Own Damage Claim”) first (if you had purchased our Comprehensive Car Insurance policy) and, after we have settled your losses which you have insured against in your policy, we will seek recovery against the other party on your behalf. If you are submitting an Own Damage Claim, you must submit such claim to us within 14 days from the date of the accident.

If you do not wish to submit an Own Damage Claim, you can also engage your own lawyer to submit your Third Party Claim directly against the third party driver.

Do I need to lodge an accident report if I am not at fault for the accident and I am not claiming against my own car insurance policy?

You will still need to lodge the accident report within 24 hours or the next working day to provide the accident details and to safeguard yourself as the other party might still submit a claim against you.

My car broke down. Can I claim against my own car insurance policy?

You will not be able to claim against your car insurance policy as your policy does not cover wear and tear from usage of your car. However, if you have the 24 Hours Roadside Assistance optional cover, you can call us to arrange towing your car to our Authorised Workshop or to your workshop for repairs.

What should I do in the event of "Park and Found" or "Hit and Run"?

In the event of "Park and Found" or "Hit and Run", you or your driver must lodge a police report before reporting the incident at our Authorised Workshop/Accident Reporting Centre. You may choose to claim under your own policy.

Related Car Insurance FAQs