Insuring Your Car FAQs
- Types of Car Insurance & Covers
- What types of cover can I choose from?
- Can anyone drive my car?
- How much do you insure my car for?
- Do I have to tell you if I drive to work in my car?
- Who would Budget Direct Insurance not insure?
- Do you cover modified cars?
- Are there any professions, trades or services you don't cover?
- Does your car insurance cover private hire vehicles or if I use my car for Grab, Go-Jek, Ryde or TADA?
- Do I really have to take up your Any Workshop option if my car is still under warranty?
- Are there any cars that Budget Direct Insurance does NOT insure?
- What is car insurance?
- What is customised car insurance?
- Who has the cheapest^ car insurance in Singapore in 2021?
- Insuring your Car
- I need to extend my current car insurance with you for a couple of months because the shipment on my new car is delayed. Is extending my insurance with you possible?
- What is an Off Peak Car?
- I bought my insurance from you but was involved in an accident before the policy start date. Why was I informed that my premium with you will increase?
- What documents will I receive when I buy my policy?
- Paying for Car Insurance
- Do I have to pay my car insurance premiums in one lump sum or can I pay in instalments?
- I am paying my car insurance policy premium by monthly instalment under an Instalment Payment Plan (IPP). What happens if I cancel the policy before the end of the policy term?
- Can I make an early redemption of the IPP by settling the balance total outstanding amount owing in one lump sum?
- Can I cancel the credit card which is used for the monthly payment under the IPP?
- I am paying my car insurance policy premium by monthly instalment under an IPP. What happens if there is a partial refund of premium payable to me before the end of the policy period (for example, due to change in my NCD entitlement from 20% to 50%)?
- If I choose to pay my insurance via monthly instalments then what method of payment can I use?
- Why do you only accept DBS/POSB credit cards for instalment payment?
- Car Accidents
- What should I do if I have an accident?
- Do I need to report an accident to the police?
- What should I do if I am involved in an accident outside Singapore?
- What is the time frame for me to report an accident and what documents are required for accident reporting?
- Where can I report an accident involving my car?
- Do I need to inform Budget Direct Insurance if I privately settle the accident with the other party?
- What is the timeframe for me to submit my third-party claim against the other party’s insurer if I am not at fault for the accident?
- If someone knocked into me or my car and does not have any valid car insurance policy, what should I do?
- Do I need to lodge an accident report if I am not at fault for the accident and I am not claiming against my own car insurance policy?
- My car broke down. Can I claim against my own car insurance policy?
- What should I do in the event of "Park and Found" or "Hit and Run"?
- Car Theft and Repairs
- What should I do in the event my windscreen is damaged?
- What should I do if my car is stolen?
- Should I accept any assistance from unknown roadside towing services or workshops?
- Can I request for breakdown towing/assistance in the event my car breaks down?
- What should I do if I receive a Letter of Demand/ Writ of Summons?
- Are vehicle repairs at your workshops guaranteed?
- Where can I repair my car after an accident?
- Will there be a replacement car/ loss of use/ transport allowance when my car is undergoing repair?
- Will there be any charges if I repair/ replace my windscreen or window?
- Car Insurance Claims and Excesses
- If I have not purchased the “Any Workshop” optional cover and don’t intend to make an Own Damage claim, can I visit listed agent workshops for reporting?
- If there is damage to my car’s sun roof do I make a claim under my windscreen cover?
- How do I make a claim against the other party’s insurer?
- How do I make a claim against a foreign vehicle?
- How much will I be paid if my car is deemed as "Total Loss" in an accident or if my vehicle is stolen?
- Do I have to pay excess when I make a claim on my car insurance?
- No Claim Discount
- What is a No Claim Discount (NCD)?
- How does your NCD Protector work?
- I have 50% NCD from my current insurer, can it be transferred to the policy I'm about to get from you?
- I have been driving as a Named Driver on someone else’s policy can I get NCD?
- I have a vehicle registered under commercial use and I would like to change it to personal use. Can I transfer my NCD from my commercial vehicle to my private car?
- I am a foreigner living in Singapore and have a 50% NCD from overseas. Can it be transferred to the policy I'm about to get from you?
- What is a Certificate of Merit and how does this work with my NCD?
- Will my NCD be affected if I do not claim against my own car insurance policy and I have done a private settlement with the other party?
- Managing your Car Insurance
- How do I renew my road tax?
- What if I need to change my details such as my address?
- Where do I find my car’s details?
- When is the best time to renew my car insurance?
- If I am on the automatic renewal arrangement what do I need to do to renew?
- I am on the automatic renewal arrangement with Budget Direct Insurance but I don’t want to renew what do I need to do?
- I notice that some information is missing in my renewal offer, what should I do about it?
- Can I cancel my policy after purchase?
I need to extend my current car insurance with you for a couple of months because the shipment on my new car is delayed. Is extending my insurance with you possible?
Yes. You can extend your current car’s 12-month policy for this reason, as we allow you to have your policy cover up to a maximum of 18 months. Once your new car is ready, you can cancel your current insurance with us for your current car and we will give you a refund for the unused portion of the extended cover. Just give us a call at 6221 2111, Mondays to Fridays, 8am to 8pm and Saturdays, 9am to 3pm (excluding public holidays) and our Customer Care Executive will be happy to help you set this up.
What is an Off-Peak Car?
In Singapore, these are cars that are registered under the Revised Off-Peak Car (ROPC), Off-Peak Car (OPC) or Weekend Car (WEC) scheme (each, an “OPC Scheme”). Such cars generally can be driven only during the stipulated non-peak hours on weekdays and on weekends and public holidays. Registering your car under any OPC Scheme helps you cut the costs of owning a car with savings on road tax and rebates against the quota premium for a Certification of Entitlement (COE). And at Budget Direct Insurance, you get even bigger savings with a 15% discount off your car insurance when car is under an OPC Scheme.
I bought my insurance from you but was involved in an accident before the policy start date. Why was I informed that my premium with you will increase ONLY after the policy has started?
It is standard industry practice for insurers to validate and update your accident and / or claim record on all incidents which happened before the policy start date.
The number of accidents and/or claims in your record may result in a difference to your premium.
At Budget Direct Insurance, we look at the total number of accident(s) / claim(s) on your record in the last three years preceding the start date of your policy, regardless of whether you were at fault in those accident(s). As the accident may have happened just before the end of your previous policy term, we may need time to validate the details with your previous insurer.
It is always important you inform your insurer of ANY change in material information to ensure your policy stays valid, and your accident record is a key material information that your insurer relies on to provide you coverage on your policy.
What documents will I receive when I buy my policy?
- Policy Summary
- Certificate of Insurance
- Policy Schedule
- Tax Invoice
- Product Disclosure Document
The above documents will be sent to you by post unless you opt to go "Paperless", in which case we will email you the documents. If you decide to go "Paperless", your premium is reduced by S$20 (before GST).