Car Theft and Repairs FAQs
- Types of Car Insurance & Covers
- What types of cover can I choose from?
- Can anyone drive my car?
- How much do you insure my car for?
- Do I have to tell you if I drive to work in my car?
- Who would Budget Direct Insurance not insure?
- Do you cover modified cars?
- Are there any professions, trades or services you don't cover?
- Does your car insurance cover private hire vehicles or if I use my car for Grab, Go-Jek, Ryde or TADA?
- Do I really have to take up your Any Workshop option if my car is still under warranty?
- Are there any cars that Budget Direct Insurance does NOT insure?
- What is car insurance?
- What is customised car insurance?
- Who has the cheapest^ car insurance in Singapore in 2021?
- Insuring your Car
- I need to extend my current car insurance with you for a couple of months because the shipment on my new car is delayed. Is extending my insurance with you possible?
- What is an Off Peak Car?
- I bought my insurance from you but was involved in an accident before the policy start date. Why was I informed that my premium with you will increase?
- What documents will I receive when I buy my policy?
- Paying for Car Insurance
- Do I have to pay my car insurance premiums in one lump sum or can I pay in instalments?
- I am paying my car insurance policy premium by monthly instalment under an Instalment Payment Plan (IPP). What happens if I cancel the policy before the end of the policy term?
- Can I make an early redemption of the IPP by settling the balance total outstanding amount owing in one lump sum?
- Can I cancel the credit card which is used for the monthly payment under the IPP?
- I am paying my car insurance policy premium by monthly instalment under an IPP. What happens if there is a partial refund of premium payable to me before the end of the policy period (for example, due to change in my NCD entitlement from 20% to 50%)?
- If I choose to pay my insurance via monthly instalments then what method of payment can I use?
- Why do you only accept DBS/POSB credit cards for instalment payment?
- Car Accidents
- What should I do if I have an accident?
- Do I need to report an accident to the police?
- What should I do if I am involved in an accident outside Singapore?
- What is the time frame for me to report an accident and what documents are required for accident reporting?
- Where can I report an accident involving my car?
- Do I need to inform Budget Direct Insurance if I privately settle the accident with the other party?
- What is the timeframe for me to submit my third-party claim against the other party’s insurer if I am not at fault for the accident?
- If someone knocked into me or my car and does not have any valid car insurance policy, what should I do?
- Do I need to lodge an accident report if I am not at fault for the accident and I am not claiming against my own car insurance policy?
- My car broke down. Can I claim against my own car insurance policy?
- What should I do in the event of "Park and Found" or "Hit and Run"?
- Car Theft and Repairs
- What should I do in the event my windscreen is damaged?
- What should I do if my car is stolen?
- Should I accept any assistance from unknown roadside towing services or workshops?
- Can I request for breakdown towing/assistance in the event my car breaks down?
- What should I do if I receive a Letter of Demand/ Writ of Summons?
- Are vehicle repairs at your workshops guaranteed?
- Where can I repair my car after an accident?
- Will there be a replacement car/ loss of use/ transport allowance when my car is undergoing repair?
- Will there be any charges if I repair/ replace my windscreen or window?
- Car Insurance Claims and Excesses
- If I have not purchased the “Any Workshop” optional cover and don’t intend to make an Own Damage claim, can I visit listed agent workshops for reporting?
- If there is damage to my car’s sun roof do I make a claim under my windscreen cover?
- How do I make a claim against the other party’s insurer?
- How do I make a claim against a foreign vehicle?
- How much will I be paid if my car is deemed as "Total Loss" in an accident or if my vehicle is stolen?
- Do I have to pay excess when I make a claim on my car insurance?
- No Claim Discount
- What is a No Claim Discount (NCD)?
- How does your NCD Protector work?
- I have 50% NCD from my current insurer, can it be transferred to the policy I'm about to get from you?
- I have been driving as a Named Driver on someone else’s policy can I get NCD?
- I have a vehicle registered under commercial use and I would like to change it to personal use. Can I transfer my NCD from my commercial vehicle to my private car?
- I am a foreigner living in Singapore and have a 50% NCD from overseas. Can it be transferred to the policy I'm about to get from you?
- What is a Certificate of Merit and how does this work with my NCD?
- Will my NCD be affected if I do not claim against my own car insurance policy and I have done a private settlement with the other party?
- Managing your Car Insurance
- How do I renew my road tax?
- What if I need to change my details such as my address?
- Where do I find my car’s details?
- When is the best time to renew my car insurance?
- If I am on the automatic renewal arrangement what do I need to do to renew?
- I am on the automatic renewal arrangement with Budget Direct Insurance but I don’t want to renew what do I need to do?
- I notice that some information is missing in my renewal offer, what should I do about it?
- Can I cancel my policy after purchase?
What should I do in the event my windscreen is damaged?
What should I do if my car is stolen?
You are required to report the theft to the local police and proceed to any of our Authorised Workshops/Accident Reporting Centres to lodge an incident report. For further assistance, please call our 24-hour claims hotline at 6221 2199 or +65 6540 2199 (if overseas) and our representatives will advise you.
Should I accept any assistance from unknown roadside towing services or workshops?
Can I request for breakdown towing/assistance in the event my car breaks down?
Breakdown towing/assistance is available if you purchase the 24 Hours Roadside Assistance optional cover. If you did not purchase this optional cover, we can help you to arrange for roadside assistance. However, you will have to pay any costs directly to the roadside assistance operator.
What should I do if I receive a Letter of Demand/ Writ of Summons?
If you receive any Letter of Demand/ Writ of Summons from the other party relating to the accident, you should forward it to us "By Hand" immediately. You should not negotiate, admit liability or offer payment to the other party.
Are vehicle repairs at your workshops guaranteed?
All repairs carried out at our Authorised Workshops are guaranteed against repair defects for 12 months.
Where can I repair my car after an accident?
You can choose from the list of our Authorised Workshops to claim under your own policy. If you repair at one of our Authorised Workshops, we will guarantee against defects in the repairs authorised by us for a period of 12 months or until your car gets damaged again, whichever is earlier.
If you are claiming against the other party or if you have purchased the Any Workshop optional cover, you may proceed to any workshop of your choice to repair your car.
However, please note that we only provide a 12-month guarantee against repair defects if repairs are carried out at one of our Authorised Workshops.
Regardless of where you send your car for repairs, you will need to file an accident report at any of our Authorised Workshops/Accident Reporting Centres.
Will there be a replacement car/ loss of use/ transport allowance when my car is undergoing repair?
There will be no replacement car or loss of use provided.
However, if you have purchased our Transport Allowance optional cover we will pay you S$50 per day, capped at a maximum of 10 days per accident and subject to a maximum of 20 days per policy term. This optional cover includes an additional allowance of S$50 to "get you home" after an accident.
This Transport Allowance optional cover is only available for Comprehensive Car Insurance and Third Party Fire and Theft Insurance policies.
Will there be any charges if I repair/ replace my windscreen or window?
Under our Comprehensive Car Insurance policy, if your windscreen or window needs to be replaced due to an accident, a S$100 excess (before GST) applies. Your windscreen cover will be auto-reinstated after each replacement. The excess is waived if your windscreen can be repaired.
If you have purchased the Windscreen Add-on optional cover with either of our Third Party plans, you are entitled to 2 repairs or replacements per policy term. If your windscreen or window needs to be replaced due to an accident, there will be a S$100 excess (before GST) applicable. Your windscreen cover will be auto-reinstated after the first repair or replacement. The excess is waived if your windscreen can be repaired.