Managing Your Policy FAQs
- Types of Car Insurance & Covers
- What types of cover can I choose from?
- Can anyone drive my car?
- How much do you insure my car for?
- Do I have to tell you if I drive to work in my car?
- Who would Budget Direct Insurance not insure?
- Do you cover modified cars?
- Are there any professions, trades or services you don't cover?
- Does your car insurance cover private hire vehicles or if I use my car for Grab, Go-Jek, Ryde or TADA?
- Do I really have to take up your Any Workshop option if my car is still under warranty?
- Are there any cars that Budget Direct Insurance does NOT insure?
- What is car insurance?
- What is customised car insurance?
- Who has the cheapest^ car insurance in Singapore in 2021?
- Insuring your Car
- Can I buy car insurance with Budget Direct Insurance?
- I need to extend my current car insurance with you for a couple of months because the shipment on my new car is delayed. Is extending my insurance with you possible?
- What is an Off Peak Car?
- I bought my insurance from you but was involved in an accident before the policy start date. Why was I informed that my premium with you will increase?
- What documents will I receive when I buy my policy?
- Paying for Car Insurance
- Do I have to pay my car insurance premiums in one lump sum or can I pay in instalments?
- I am paying my car insurance policy premium by monthly instalment under an Instalment Payment Plan (IPP). What happens if I cancel the policy before the end of the policy term?
- Can I make an early redemption of the IPP by settling the balance total outstanding amount owing in one lump sum?
- Can I cancel the credit card which is used for the monthly payment under the IPP?
- I am paying my car insurance policy premium by monthly instalment under an IPP. What happens if there is a partial refund of premium payable to me before the end of the policy period (for example, due to change in my NCD entitlement from 20% to 50%)?
- If I choose to pay my insurance via monthly instalments then what method of payment can I use?
- Car Accidents
- What should I do if I have an accident?
- Do I need to report an accident to the police?
- What should I do if I am involved in an accident outside Singapore?
- What is the time frame for me to report an accident and what documents are required for accident reporting?
- Where can I report an accident involving my car?
- Do I need to inform Budget Direct Insurance if I privately settle the accident with the other party?
- What is the timeframe for me to submit my third-party claim against the other party’s insurer if I am not at fault for the accident?
- If someone knocked into me or my car and does not have any valid car insurance policy, what should I do?
- Do I need to lodge an accident report if I am not at fault for the accident and I am not claiming against my own car insurance policy?
- My car broke down. Can I claim against my own car insurance policy?
- What should I do in the event of "Park and Found" or "Hit and Run"?
- Car Theft and Repairs
- What should I do in the event my windscreen is damaged?
- What should I do if my car is stolen?
- Should I accept any assistance from unknown roadside towing services or workshops?
- Can I request for breakdown towing/assistance in the event my car breaks down?
- What should I do if I receive a Letter of Demand/ Writ of Summons?
- Are vehicle repairs at your workshops guaranteed?
- Where can I repair my car after an accident?
- Will there be a replacement car/ loss of use/ transport allowance when my car is undergoing repair?
- Will there be any charges if I repair/ replace my windscreen or window?
- Car Insurance Claims and Excesses
- If I have not purchased the “Any Workshop” optional cover and don’t intend to make an Own Damage claim, can I visit listed agent workshops for reporting?
- If there is damage to my car’s sun roof do I make a claim under my windscreen cover?
- How do I make a claim against the other party’s insurer?
- How do I make a claim against a foreign vehicle?
- How much will I be paid if my car is deemed as "Total Loss" in an accident or if my vehicle is stolen?
- Do I have to pay excess when I make a claim on my car insurance?
- No Claim Discount
- What is a No Claim Discount (NCD)?
- How does your NCD Protector work?
- I have 50% NCD from my current insurer, can it be transferred to the policy I'm about to get from you?
- I have been driving as a Named Driver on someone else’s policy can I get NCD?
- I have a vehicle registered under commercial use and I would like to change it to personal use. Can I transfer my NCD from my commercial vehicle to my private car?
- I am a foreigner living in Singapore and have a 50% NCD from overseas. Can it be transferred to the policy I'm about to get from you?
- What is a Certificate of Merit and how does this work with my NCD?
- Will my NCD be affected if I do not claim against my own car insurance policy and I have done a private settlement with the other party?
- Managing your Car Insurance
- How do I manage my policy?
- How do I renew my road tax?
- What if I need to change my details such as my address?
- Where do I find my car’s details?
- When is the best time to renew my car insurance?
- If I am on the automatic renewal arrangement what do I need to do to renew?
- I am on the automatic renewal arrangement with Budget Direct Insurance but I don’t want to renew what do I need to do?
- I notice that some information is missing in my renewal offer, what should I do about it?
- Can I cancel my policy after purchase?
- I have just sold /scrapped or de-registered off my car (last week/last month/this morning). What should I do to cancel the policy and get back my refund?
How do I manage my policy?
You can log into your Policy Manager to view your dashboard, where you can update some of your personal information, review and finalise previous quotes, access your current and previous policy information, download policy documents and much more. To log in to your Policy Manager, you can use email address and enter the OTP sent to your mobile number or SingPass to verify your identity.
How do I renew my road tax?
At any Road Tax Collection Centre
Please bring along a copy of the Certificate of Insurance which you would have received from us by email and post (only if you have opted out of going paperless) and check with the respective centres on their road tax collection hours and payment modes before proceeding to renew your road tax at any of these centres.
Via AXS services/SAM services/LTA One Motoring website
Once you have purchased your car insurance you can go ahead and renew your road tax online at LTA’s One Motoring website. Or via AXS services or SAM services.
Renew via Giro
You can apply online for Giro road tax renewal at One Motoring. Alternatively, you can download an application form here.
What if I need to change my details such as my address?
You will be able to access your details under the 'Policy Manager' section of our website or you may call us at 6221 2111. Mondays to Fridays, 9am to 8pm and Saturdays, 9am to 3pm (Closed on Sundays and public holidays).
Where do I find my car’s details?
When is the best time to renew my car insurance?
Your insurance renewal instruction and full payment of premium should reach us at least 14 days prior to the expiry of your current policy. We will take it that you are not renewing your policy if we do not receive the full premium payment by the expiry date of your current policy and your policy will lapse after its last day of cover.
If I am on the automatic renewal arrangement what do I need to do to renew?
You do not have to do anything and we will deduct/charge the renewal premium from your credit card 14 days before the expiry of your current policy (“Deduction Date”).
I am on the automatic renewal arrangement with Budget Direct Insurance but I don’t want to renew what do I need to do?
If you do not wish to renew your policy, please inform us at least 2 working days before the Deduction Date and your policy will lapse after the last day of cover.
I notice that some information is missing in my renewal offer, what should I do about it?
If any information in your renewal offer is missing or incorrect, or there are changes in your circumstances, please let us know immediately. Either email us right away or call us at 6221 2111. Mondays to Fridays, 9am to 8pm and Saturdays, 9am to 3pm (Closed on Sundays and public holidays).
Can I cancel my policy after purchase?
Yes, you can cancel your policy by giving us at least 7 days' written notice. If you cancel before or on the policy start date, we will charge a cancellation fee of $50.00 (before prevailing GST). If you cancel after the policy start date, you will receive a premium refund of 80% of the unused premium if no claims have been made or incidents reported on your policy. In such case, any refund of the pro-rated unused premium will be computed as follows:
We will refund you via the same way in which you had paid for your premium, e.g. if you had paid by cash or cheque, we will refund you by cheque. If you had paid by credit card, we will refund you through the same credit card.
I have just sold /scrapped or de-registered off my car (last week/last month/this morning). What should I do to cancel the policy and get back my refund?
If your vehicle is being sold / scrapped or de-registered and you wish to cancel your insurance policy, then please provide us with the following supporting documents:
- LTA notification on Transfer of Ownership / De-registration of vehicle OR
- LTA SMS notification on the Successful Transfer of Ownership / De-registration OR
- (In the event vehicle is sold) Handover form from dealer / buyer stating the handover date and time
- If a vehicle registration number is retained prior to the sale or de-registration of the vehicle, please provide us with a copy of the LTA letter indicating the amendment.
You may email copies of your documents to [email protected]. Once we have received the required document(s), we will be able to process your policy cancellation based on the relevant date stated in the supporting document(s).